Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Papaya & Frog Ovary Soup

Last week, I was fortunate enough to be treated to dinner by my closest Chinese friend. That same night, I had the misfortune of eating an entire bowl of papaya & frog ovary soup without realizing what it was. Only after I had finished did I ask the name of the soup. She showed me the menu and when my mouth fell open, she assured me that the translation was faulty....right. Thinking back on it, I probably would have eaten it regardless of when I knew what it was. Rude not to....(John has a funny store about the differences in food culture).

I was telling this story to a friend of mine and he replied, " Can’t trust people who eat reptiles and/or ovaries." True, but my previous thought (and it is solidifying itself more and more nowadays) was, "Can't trust people who eat their pets". Not that people who eat dog here are actually eating their own. Truthfully, I'm fairly certain that dog owners here find digesting their canine pals just as repulsive as most westerners. However, I can't help but wonder at those people who grin at me when I walk past them while walking Cleo (new puppy). Are they grinning because they find her cute...or because she looks tasty? >_<

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI JT/JEN,NICE PUP. U DO LEAVE IT THERE WHEN U COME HOME-RIGHT? NETT CAL'D ME THIS AM & ADV. SHE WAS IN NY & HOME BY 645P. AMBER WILL B PICK'G HER UP- I HAVE 2 WORK. AS OF THIS WRIT'G NO WORD. I PD THE INS ON URE VW (COVERED TILL SEPT.) & CHANGED THE OIL/FILTER, SO NETT WOULD HAVE SOMETHING 2 DRIVE THE MO SHE'S HERE. NO WORD FROM WILL. ALL OK HERE. SNOW DUE HERE IN NEXT FEW DAYS. THAT'LL MAKE IT FOR NETT- FROM BURN'G UP 2 FREEZ'G. HAHA! LOVE U GUYS, DAD

NanettePC said...

she's sooo cute, and the pics don't do her justice. i so wish i had one just like her here!! miss you guys! hope all is well!
nanette